Friday, January 16, 2009

Securing the Ostomy Clip Bag

We are all familiar with the reliable rubber band. It is a short length of rubber and latex formed in the shape of a loop. These bands are typically used to hold multiple objects together.

We get to play with rubber bands when we were still small. However, up to now it still serves a lot of purpose especially for ostomy living.

I consider the rubber band as an additional ostomy appliance too. I have several of them kept along my ostomy kit. For added security, I use them to secure the removable clip of my colostomy bag. It gives me extra confidence that the clip although secured, will not further slip away.

I advise using rubber bands because I had accidents where the ostomy bag clip slipped away from pouch bag. This can happen in instances when I get to pull to change trousers or just getting stuck between chairs transferring from one one place to another. What can be more humiliating is the mess and smell not to mention the embarrassment when people around would get to find out about the spillage.

Hence, I always remember the saying “Better be safe than sorry.” Every moment, I don’t forget to secure my clip with a rubber band.

No comments: